Registering with Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)

Citizens from EU/EEA and Switzerland

It is not necessary to register with the immigration authorities.

All Other Students

All non-Irish nationals, who are not citizens of the EU/EEA or Switzerland, must register in person with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) after arrival and after completion of registration at your third level institution. The GNIB will issue you with a residence permit/GNIB card. The fee for this card is €300 and must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.  

Garda National Immigration Bureau
13-14 Burgh Quay, 
Dublin 2, 
Tel: +353 1 666 9130 / 01
Download GNIB Location Map

Opening Hours
Mon. to Thurs.: 8.00am – 10.00pm

What you need to bring with you:

  1. Valid passport;
  2. Current student card;
  3. Evidence of financial support, e.g. current bank statement showing your name, a letter of guarantee from parent or guardian indicating availability of sufficient funds to sustain you for the duration of your stay in Ireland; or a letter from your sponsoring body confirming financial status.
  4. A letter from the college including your student status, start date and the duration of your course and stating that fees have been paid.
  5. Evidence of private health insurance.
  6. €300 - this must be paid by credit card, laser card or bank giro.

Post Study Pathways for International Students

It may be possible to stay in Ireland after you complete your studies for the purpose of seeking employment under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme. This scheme exists to allow legally resident non-EU third level graduates to remain in Ireland in order to look for employment or apply for a green card/work permit.

  • During their approved stay under the scheme, a student can work full-time (40 hours a week).
  • The permission under the Irish Third Level Graduate Scheme is non renewable.
  • A student can only avail of the Third Level Graduate Scheme in accordance with the rules below. 

Revised Third Level Graduate Scheme Permission

This allows non-EU/EEA students who have graduated from Irish higher education institutions to remain in Ireland for 24 months to seek employment.

In order to qualify graduates:

  1. Must have been notified in writing by the relevant awarding body or institution on or after 1 January 2017 that they have achieved the award for which they had enrolled as a student.
  2. Must hold a current Stamp 2 student immigration permission and an up-to-date immigration registration card, and must apply within six months of being notified by the relevant awarding body or institution that they have achieved the award for which they had enrolled as a student.
  3. Must not have already exceeded the seven-year limit on their permission as a non-EEA national student in the State.
  4. May, if having previously benefitted from the Third Level Graduate Programme at a level 8 award or above, on achievement of a higher level award, e.g. level 9 or above, re-enter the Third Level Graduate Programme, subject to the overall limit of eight years.
  5. A graduate will not be permitted to access the Programme on more than two separate occasions, subject to 4) above.
  6. Must, in line with the obligation on any non-EEA national seeking to renew their permission to be in the State, comply with the laws of the State. Such persons are expected to be of good character and not to have come to the adverse attention of the authorities in any way.
  7. Must present evidence of the final award being attained by way of a parchment or, in circumstances where the graduation ceremony is yet to take place, an official letter for the awarding body / institution confirming that the award has been achieved. We will revert with arrangements for checking with the institutions and further information, including contact details will circulate in due course.

An award granted by a recognised Irish awarding body i.e.

  • The seven Irish universities; i.e. Trinity College, UCD, DCU, Maynooth University, UCC, NUI Galway and the University of Limerick
  • Dublin Institute of Technology
  • Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
  • Institutes of Technology
  • Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI)

Persons qualifying for graduate immigration permission of up to twelve months

Graduates with an award at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications will be granted a twelve-month permission to a maximum of seven years' student permission overall. (i.e. time spent on Stamp 2 as a student and on Stamp 1G under this programme cannot exceed an aggregate time of seven years in total).

Please Note: Graduates with an award at Level 9 or above on the National Framework of Qualifications qualify for the Programme will be granted permission for twelve months initially. This will be renewed for a further period of twelve months (subject to the overall eight year limit) where the graduate satisfies the immigration authorities that he or she has taken appropriate steps to access suitable graduate level employment (e.g. attendance at job interviews, signing up with graduate employment agencies, etc.).

Can I switch to work permit employment when I am in Ireland to study?

Permission to work is granted by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. Check their website for details on how to obtain a working permit. 

NOTE: Post Study Pathways are not available to Language and Non-Degree Programme Students

When should you apply for the Third Level Graduate Scheme:

  • You apply, after your results issue, to the GNIB office. You must:
    • Provide a letter from the university or college you attended indicating you have obtained your examination results and are eligible to graduate
    • Have a valid passport
    • Have your GNIB Card
    • Pay €300 by credit/debit card.

 Immigration Arrangements for English Language Students

As set out in the Government Policy Statement in May 2015, the standard immigration permission available for the purposes of pursuing an English language programme on the ILEP will be 8 months (this is a reduction from the 12 month permissions previously issued).  This change will take immediate effect (i.e. from 21 January 2016) in respect of all future English Language related immigration registrations (first time and renewals). Existing permissions will not be affected.  

The operation of the work concession will not be affected by the new policy.  Since 1st January 2016 students holding a valid immigration stamp 2 are permitted to work 40 hours per week during the months of May, June, July and August and from 15 December to 15 January inclusive.   At all other times they will be limited to working 20 hours per week.  


Let's Talk

Please type your full name.

Please type your full name.

Invalid email address.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Ready to go for higher education opportunity?



Contact Us Now For a Free Consultation

Please type your full name.

Please type your full name.

Invalid email address.

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input

Invalid Input


Our Affiliates


Education Ireland

TAR University College (TAR UC)

Suite 102, Block W, Tar UC,

Jalan Genting Kelang, setapak,

53300 Kuala Lumpur.

+603-2771 6068+6012-501 0021 +6011-1424 2057


MyStudy Education Consulting Sdn Bhd

3-1-3, Cantonment Exchange

698, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah (Jalan Ipoh)

51200 Kuala Lumpur.


+603-27716068 | +6012-7707743 +6017-7907743

Our Story

MyStudy Education Consulting Sdn Bhd was founded in 2004 with a vision to be a leader in providing consulting and support services on further study to high school students, youths and parents. Readmore